If you sat down right now and wrote out your List of Happy, what would be on it?
You’d probably have the big things like friends, family,career and so on. But what about the little things?
Those obscure little joys that perk up any no-good-very-bad-day and put a li’l pep back in your step. Maybe it’s a song, a flavour of ice cream, or that beloved old jacket. Maybe it’s raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens, or bright copper kettles. Though not necessarily as profound as the big things, they are no less vital in your regiment to right your world when it goes off kilter.
I know I would definitely have the li’l things on my List of Happy.
In fact, here’s 30 of them:
1. L-l-l-lola! There are few songs in this world that can earworm me for days and have me happy about it like The Kinks’ “Lola” can. Better than chicken soup for remedying a case of the no-good-very-bad day.
2. waking up to the smell of coffee brewing
3. knee-high boots with heels, always
4. leather jackets – find it near impossible NOT to smile from the good vibes felt when slipping into a really great leather jacket
5. Kraft Chewy Caramels – nom nom nom
6. butterfly kisses
7. Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of The Moon” album
8. red wine – especially if it’s Thursday night on The CW ;)
9. vanilla or cinnamon scented anything
10. silver and purple nail polish
11. acoustic guitar tracks and electric guitar riffs
12. bad boy antiheroes – Blame It On Han Solo
13. laughing till I cry
14. being barefoot
15. fleece throws
16. melty sticky marshmallows in the bottom of my mug of hot chocolate
17. cheesecake and pumpkin pie
18. Sean Connery’s voice
19. Van Morrison’s “Moondance” album
20. Cary Grant movies. But also, The Goonies
21. the still calm of my world at sunrise
22. the crackle of logs burning in the woodstove/fireplace
23. dash-board drumming while singing at the top of my lungs driving solo down the highway
24. Uilleann pipes. Have a listen and prepare to put them on your list.
25. Twitter. My tweeps are the best in the Twitterverse. They rock that hard. Especially when I need a pick-me-up. No discussion.
26. unexpected texts/phone calls from good, good friends who live too, too far away to simply pop in.
27. my kids curling up with and getting blissfully lost in my favourite worn, cover-bent novels – worn and cover-bent not from lack of care, but from hours upon hours of being held and read over and over because I loved them that much.
28. sinking into a pair of strong arms that completely swallow you whole
29. the infinite possibilities had in the simple teaming of a pad, pencil and a big open window to look out of
30. finding myself still dreaming crazy dreams in a world determined to convince us to do otherwise
Okay, now it’s your turn.
What li’l things would make your List of Happy?